Benjamin J. “Buddy” Berger is a founding partner of Berger McDermott LLP. Buddy represents real estate developers, builders, investors, family-owned businesses, nonprofit corporations, and closely held business entities in a variety of complex real estate and other transactional matters, including acquisitions, financings, sales, leases, and debt restructuring matters. Buddy also has extensive experience in the title insurance industry as a title agent for several national title insurance companies.
Buddy has experience regarding mixed-use projects such as student housing projects, and in handling securitized and mezzanine financing transactions on behalf of borrowers.
- Lead counsel on the sale of a 260,000-square-foot office building in Wilmington, Delaware.
- Landlord’s counsel on a 125,000-square-foot office lease in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- Lead counsel with respect to the acquisition and financing on three apartment complexes located in New Castle County, Kent County, and Sussex County, Delaware.
- Ground Lessor’s counsel on a ground lease involving the development of a 200-unit student housing complex in Newark, Delaware.
- Lead Borrower’s counsel on a $32M construction loan for a 220,000-square-foot mixed-use project and parking facility.
- Lead Seller’s counsel with respect to the sale to a national REIT of a 235,000-square-foot retail center in New Castle County, Delaware.
- Lead Seller’s counsel with respect to the sale to a national REIT of a 252-unit multifamily apartment project in Brighton, Colorado.
- Lead counsel to a local builder with respect to the acquisition and development of several townhouse and condominium communities in New Castle County, Delaware.
- Lead counsel on a $66M refinance with Fannie Mae on a multifamily housing project in New Castle County, Delaware.
- Represent and counsel $50M family-owned real estate company in overall business consulting and real estate activities.
- Acted as Delaware title agent with respect to a $100M multistate financing of industrial sites.
- J.D., University of Denver College of Law
- B.A., Boston University, magna cum laude
Admitted to Practice
- Board Member, Commercial Industrial Realty Council
- Member, Committee of 100
- Member, American Bar Association, Real Property and Probate Section
- Member, Delaware State Bar Association, Real Property Section
Honors & Awards
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers in Real Estate, 2003–2005
- Best Lawyers: Real Estate Law, Greater Philadelphia, 2016
- Best Lawyers: Real Estate Law, 2016–2022
- Moderator, Delaware Commercial Real Estate Forecast Summit, The State of the Delaware Office Market
- Panelist, Commercial Real Estate, sponsored by the Delaware Business Times
- Presenter, Multiple Real Estate Topics, National Business Institute